Sunday, October 24, 2010

5 hours...



...that is how much time I got to spend with my little angel. It was the most amazing 5 hours of my life. It was the strongest I have ever felt the spirit. Samuel was so special; his spirit was perfect. As I held my son in my arms I felt so much gratitude to my Heavenly Father for allowing us to spend time together. I felt so much pride in my heart for Samuel. I was proud of him. Proud that he held on long enough to allow Jake and I to meet him and hold him and love him and kiss him. Proud that he had already proved himself enough to not have an earthly test. Proud to be his mother.

I think about him every single day. I don't think a day will ever go by when I don't think about Samuel. I hope he knows how much Jake and I love him and how much he changed our lives and how many people he touched.

Without going into much detail about how our 5 hours in the hospital with Samuel was, I'll write just a few things. When Samuel was born his heart rate was at 40 bpm when it should be closer to 130. Jake administered a name and a blessing after which we saw a quick increase in heart rate and a more normal skin color. I think he was ready to go home but realized that his mom and dad needed just a little more time with him. So... he indulged us and held on a little longer. We held Samuel and loved him as much as we could for 5 hours. The spirit has never been so strong and my heart has never been so full. I was holding Samuel in my arms when he left us. I was staring into his sweet little face and Jake, my sister and my dad were all there. When he was ready, he slipped away in the most peaceful way.

This has been by far the most difficult trial in my life and still is everyday. I don't know when it starts to get easier. But just as I have seen the Lord's hand in our lives each day throughout the last few months and each minute of the day on September 22nd, I continue to trust in Him and I continue to feel comfort and peace in my heart.



12 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Oh,my,sweetest thing ever. What an amazing story when Jake gave him his blessing and his heart rate picked up. Absolutely amazing. Such beautiful pictures and such a beautiful ETERNAL family. Love you Joanie, Jake, Manoa, and Samuel. XO.

Suzie said...

I'm so glad you had that time with him. You guys are a great family.

Kelie said...

how sweet joanie! thanks for sharing those special moments with us! you continue to amaze me! I know that samuel will continue to be with each of you as your sweet angel! love you guys!!!

Emily said...

I am so grateful you were able to have that time with him. It is a sweet blessing to have an angel in Heaven watching over you.

Lisa Johnson said...

I am sitting here at work w/ tears just streaming down my cheeks. I am so happy that you got some pictures with your sweet Samuel and that you got to spend 5 life-changing hours with him. Your faith and courage are so inspiring. LOVE YOU!

omyhana said...

YAY I have checked your blog everyday waiting for this! What an awesome story. AND what an amazing family you are, that's why the Lord picked you as Samuel's eternal family. Love and miss you tons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carina said...

Joanie, I don't know if you remember me, I am Esther's friend, we went to the Thanksgiving point farm together. I just want to let you know that you are so inspiring and thank you for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

I have checked every day as well. You are an amazing woman Joanie and you really inspire me to be a better person. I am so sorry you had t go through this but you have handled everything so well. Thank you for continuing to share your story of strength, I enjoy reading your words.

Unknown said...

Joanie,
I am so proud of you and Jake. I can only imagine what you felt. My eyes swell and my heart is so so full to know that the Lord has chosen you for such an selfless act. You are always in my heart and I love you very much.
Jake,
I know you will take care of my Joanie. I wish the four of you all the love in the world!
Love,
Ana

Stacy and Ben said...

I am sitting here at work with tears in my eyes as well! You are such an amazing family! Joanie, you are the strongest person I know! Thank you for sharing, what a testimony builder!

Anonymous said...

what sweet time! i'm sorry it wasn't longer, but one day, it will be! praying for you!

Matt and Shari Bailey said...

Joanie.... I am in tears after just reading this and I can't even fathon how hard that must have been to see him go... I have such respect for you and admire you for who you are. I pray for you that you will always have the strength you need to get through each day. Thank you for sharing this. He is watching over you and your family. God be with you til you all meet again...