Monday, May 17, 2010

Finding Strength

Manoa and I have been in Maryland for the past month. It was a GREAT trip. I was excited to come home and post pictures from our trip. But something has come up in our life that was by far more important to address...

I am pregnant. Some of you may know that and some may not. 21 weeks. Today I went in for my ultrasound and was hit with some devasting news. Our baby boy may have some problems. So far it looks like he has a cleft lip. There are also some possible issues in the brain and heart that are more reason for concern. We don't know the extent of anything yet so we are hoping for the very best outcome. But today as I heard the news my heart felt like it instantly shattered into pieces. I couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow. You know when you go thru things and you are hoping it's all just a very bad dream. And sometimes you wake up and that's all it was... a very bad dream. And sometimes it's not. The last thing you want as a parent is for anything to be wrong with your children. At first I thought... this can't be happening to me. Not me. Not my baby. I broke down into tears. They didn't stop coming. And my legs couldn't stop shaking. I went to the bathroom and threw up.

After I heard the news at the hospital Jake, his parents, myself and Manoa all went over to our home. Jake's dad gave me a blessing and afterward gave Jake a blessing. This past sunday I taught my CTR A class about the Power of the Priesthood. I'm glad I had this fresh in my mind. The immediate peace that we felt after the blessing helped us to relax, be calm and regain composure. All I can say is the power of the priesthood is very real. And I am so grateful to have it in our lives today.

This is by far the biggest trial I have ever faced. Today my father in law told me something that struck a cord. He said challenges bring change. Whether that change is good or bad is up to us. It has reminded me to be positive, have hope, keep being obedient and have more faith in the Lord than I ever have. I believe that things happen for a reason. My sister told me that I am a stronger person than I know. She told me I've never had to tap into that strength within myself as much as I need to now.

All my thoughts are just jumbled up in my mind right now. I am still not thinking straight. (which is why the post my sound a bit confusing) Im hoping it will be my therapy and at the same time let others know 2 things: 1- I want to keep my friends and family updated with how the baby is doing and how we are doing. 2- I want anyone who reads this to know that I have a strong testimony of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that they love me and want me to be happy. I love understanding and knowing the truthfulness of this gospel. I know the Lord will not give us a trial that we can not handle. I know there is real power in faith and in prayer and in fasting. I know the Savior feels my heartache and my sadness and my pain. I know he understands me. I know that I will pray my very hardest for the best outcome for our sweet baby boy and I know that regardless, I will love this precious baby with all my heart - with the unconditional love a parent feels for their child. Lastly, I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for family and friends, for love and support, for prayers and blessings and for Jake and Manoa. My two loves are my stregth. We are all trying to be strong for each other. I love my family and pray that we can stay strong and have faith during this time of trial.

18 comments:

Emily said...

Joanie,
Thank you for having the courage to share your news and your testimony. My heart goes out to you-what a difficult thing, especially knowing so little of you and your baby's future. Whatever happens, you have great love, both inside yourself and out. Thank you for letting all of us who know and love you take part in prayer and fasting for your family. The Lord will watch over you.
All my love,
Emily

Jobi Niu said...

THank you for doing this so we can all be updated. I love you so much girl and look up to you tons. Your sweet Testimony brought tears to my eyes. We'll pray, fast, give your sweet family whatever support you guys need to get through this. The Priesthood is so great, the Gospel is so comforting. Thank goodness we have it! BE STRONG. IF you need anything let me know. Love ya~Jobes

Schoenstars said...

I love you Guys and will keep you guys in our prayers. Thank you for your beautiful testimony. Let us know if there's anything you need.

-Cali

Anonymous said...

Joanie,

Thank you for posting this! First, congratulations on your pregnancy! A new life to love is always exciting!

I can't imagine the thoughts and feelings you're going through right now, but reading your post was encouraging. Reading about the great amount of momma love you already have is amazing.

We will be praying for you as you, Jake and you devloping boy. We will pray for healing and peace. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do!

Love,
Kim

Becky Davies said...

Joanie,
I'm sorry I missed seeing you on Sunday. It sunds like you have received good advice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your testimony. I have admired and loved you from the moment I met you. You are strong and amazing and you will handle things with strength and faith. Both your family and Jake's family have strength in the Lord and in His Priesthood. You have great support from them and all your friends. Take comfort in the words of the Lord and in your faith. I am always here for you my sweet friend. Love you! Becky

JR said...

Joanie-You are so strong, your sister is right. I also believe that you already love him with your whole heart and soul no matter what. You're an amazing mom. That baby boy is so lucky to have you two as parents, and his big brother Manoa to protect him. As a family, you can overcome anything. Please let me know if I can do anything for you and know that you will be in my prayers.

The Keala's said...

Joanie,
You already have amazing strength to post this and share this with everyone. You and your family will be in our prayers, we will fast with you and be there if you need ANYTHING! Your testimony is amazing, and strong! Continue to find that strengh in the Gospel. We love you and are here for you!

Virginia said...

Joanie, I love you and feel like i can speak for my whole family when I say that we are praying for you. I, too, know that you are incredibly strong and faithful and have great perspective about this trial. The Lord loves you and your family, and loves this precious baby you are carrying and will take care of all of you. I know when I have a lot of pain and especially fear, I have to stop and picture Heavenly Father holding me/ my son in his hands and watching over us. This might help you. Besos.

FJ Johnson said...

Congrats on the baby boy. I will definitely keep you guys in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your sweet testimony. I wish you guys the best. Love ya

Claudia said...

My darling Joanie
Thank you so much for sending me your update on your blog and family challenge.

This baby has chosen you to be the family he will have the opportunity to live with. You were chosen because of strength you may not know yourself you have. But you have them-- this will challenge you in areas you may never know-- but you will rise to the challenge.

I know your heart well enough to know you will love this baby and your family will be forever.

Know that my prayers, along with all your other loved ones will collectivly join together to be very powerful.

I love you sweetheart...please call me if ever I could do anything for your sweet family.

Sincerely,
Claudia Wrightson

Brianna Warnick said...

Hey I'm aisha's sister in law. I have a friend who just had a baby with a cleft palate. Rockykylefordham.blogspot.com they have pulled through it and their story may help you! It really opened my eyes, but no matter what happens, your baby will be loved SO much!!! I know I don't know you but I'll keep you in my prayers!

rebecca orban said...

Joanie,

I am so sorry to hear about this trial you are going through. Remember that God never makes mistakes. He knows exactly what is very best for His children! I will definately be praying for the very best outcome. God promises to be close to the broken hearted. I respect you so much for your openness, honestly and unconditional love for your family and child. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you!

Rebecca Orban

Brooke said...

Joanie,

I wish I had the ability to express my feelings as greatly as you do.

I want you to know that we were very sad to hear your news, and that we are here for you and will pray for you! He must be one special little spirit.

Your faith is such a great example to me and I know that whatever happens, if you keep your faith up - things will be okay.

We love you guys!
Brooke

Kelie said...

My heart goes out to you all. Thank You for sharing your sweet testimony, what a beautiful example you are! You and Jake are so strong and I will pray for each of you and especially your sweet baby boy!
"The gospel of Jesus Christ is not insurance against pain. It is resource in event of pain."
Just a quote that has helped me. I love you all!

Michelle said...

Joanie,
Please know we love you guys and keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Camille said...

your sister is right; you are stronger than you think. this little boy is lucky to have you as his mother. and add us to the list of people who love and admire you and are praying for you.

xoxo

camille

Chad and Margaret Olson said...

jake and joanie,
I love you guys! I have been thinking about you so much after my mom told me what was going on and reading your blog. chad and I keep thinking about you and praying for you. You are amazing people and can face whatever comes your way. I hope we can see you soon and please know that you are loved! If we can help in ANY way, please let us know. xoxo

Aleese and Scott said...

I agree with what everyone said, you truly are an amazing person. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.